Monday 26 January 2015

Last Grand Canyon Oil Sketch

                      Grand Canyon Arizona, composition 3, 14x18 in. oil on canvas, Jan 24 2015


I am thinking a painter could spend the rest of their life here and never scratch it a bit.
I saw a plein air show at the Kolb Gallery in the village, some most excellent pieces by some accomplished and inspiring artists, https://www.grandcanyon.org/7th-annual-grand-canyon-celebration-art, a nice lady who worked at the gallery told me that many of the painters showed up a few weeks before the actual event, and I thought to myself "I would too", or else this complex landscape could easily overwhelm.
I am now in Monument Valley, Utah, the place where lots of old western movies where filmed back in the day. Huge rock spires and miles of open rolling desert. Tomorrow, I guess I know what I'm doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment